Welcome to my blogspot!

This is where I will post various bits of information concerning all of the crazy stuff I do. There will be homeschool posts for Classical Conversations. There will be music lesson updates for my private lessons students. There may be information on Heritage Makers specials (online scrapbooking), and other creative outlets I participate in, such as crafting, decorating, and painting. There also might be "normal" blog posts if I get so inspired!







Saturday, October 16, 2010

Soapbox moment - What's wrong with our schools?

So, once in awhile I will write "soapbox moments". I may rant and rave and offend, but I pray I can throw in some insight and encouragement as well. The other day I saw a national morning news show that was doing a spot on "what's wrong with our nation's schools." Oh, brother! They talked about test scores, cut arts programs, yada yada yada. They hoped to implement new government programs to throw more money at the schools to fix stuff. I wonder if they really think that will help? (Although, if you throw money at me, it will help, I think...) Anyway, as you probably know, I homeschool my kids. It is what God has called our family to do, and I am fully aware that not everyone is called to it. It is hard, and sometimes I want to give up. But I have a unique perspective in that I used to be a public school teacher before I had kids. And I loved it. I really, really loved it. I was a music teacher on the elementary and junior high levels. I cherished my time with those kids, and we had so much fun together. But I also did get to experience some of those "problems" that the news show was discussing, and it was frustrating for other teachers and myself. There really are great teachers in our schools, who honestly care about educating the children they see everyday. And there are awesome kids too! Many of them try very hard to do their best. But the 2 biggest problems I saw were......wait for it.....Darwin's theory of evolution and the lack of parenting at home. I know people may hate me for saying this, but it honestly is the parents' responsibility to be in charge of their kids' education. And this is NOT just a problem in our public schools. I know of parents of private and home-schooled kids who are not embracing their God-given responsibilities to the fullest. Ouch. Sometimes I fall short as well, but I am seeking God and His word continually to raise and educate them as He wants. When did parents develop the idea that we could trust the education of our children to the government? Can we trust them with other stuff? Looking back into our nation's history, we see a time when people were much better educated than today. Literacy rates were higher. And parents were largely responsible for the education and training of children. When "factory-like" schools became the norm, things started going downhill. Then came the theory of evolution, and children started to be taught there was no reason for their existance other than chance. If you take that theory to it's logical conclusion, there is no right or wrong. Ugh. No wonder they aren't trying. Basically I have an idea what could fix the schools more than money -if Moms and Dads truly begin to invest in the education and training of their kids...that will change the schools!

2 comments:

  1. Woot! You go, girl! :-) Great post. You need to write more often. . . in your spare time, haha!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a current public school teacher--I couldn't agree with you more! I love reading about your school day schedule. There are times that homeschooling is soooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete